Popular Posts

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Family Traditions and Life in the Boonies

The very first meal I cooked for Jerry as his new bride was spaghetti. I make my own sauce, which is pretty hard to screw up, so it’s something simple, yet with a tiny level of difficulty to make me think I’m accomplishing something.

When we moved a year later, I made spaghetti that first night. It was something easy and quick, which is what we wanted after spending all day moving. Cause, well you know, it’s hard work moving 600 sq ft worth of stuff.

When Jerry re-enlisted and we moved to South Carolina, I made spaghetti the first night.

It wasn’t until then that we recognized the pattern, and we adopted it as our Family Tradition. I cook spaghetti for dinner in every new house we move into. We’ve moved a total of 8 times since we’ve been married (12 years). I guess It helps that everyone loves my spaghetti. I think I’ve perfected the recipe over the years.

All that to say…well you know what we had for dinner last Monday

Have I mentioned yet how far away from civilization we live? I’m used to living in a city, where I can get to anywhere I need to go in a matter of minutes. This is culture shock to me. Yes, I’m back in the land where people talk right (that totally doesn’t have the effect I’m looking for since you can’t hear me say it), but I’m out here in the middle of nowhere! We can’t even get cable at our house!! Couple that with it taking a week to get my phone and internet turned on, and absolutely no cell service, I feel cut off from the world! I’m making a list and going in to town this weekend (yeah, this one isn’t the same without hearing it either…) for things we need. Seriously, though, I do have to go to Jacksonville and get a dress. We have a family wedding the week before Thanksgiving (yes, I know I’m waiting until the last minute, don’t remind me!)

We do have a really nice house though. I feel spoiled rotten living here. We enacted the No Shoes On The Carpet Rule. So far, so good. Hopefully it lasts the whole time we’re here. We even went as far as buying everyone in the family “house” shoes. I got fluffy, furry pink flip flops.

I know many of you want pictures, and they’re coming soon.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow, no cell service?! So THAT'S why you haven't been answering my calls!

Glad you're all moved in, though it's way too far away!

kyooty said...

welcome to my world, I live for the "trips to town" thing. We buy Groceries 250-300.00 at a time, My Freezer is my friend. We rope dentist appointments all together for 3-5 peoples at a time. We Do have access to Cable, cellphones and Satalite butttttt only because we're in a subdivision. The boys take a bus to school and it's 45minutes in the morning to get them into school after school is 45minutes to get home.
So what's on the list for town? Batteries, Generator? :)