Popular Posts

Sunday, December 7, 2008

It's all about the perspective

I haven't updated in a long while, and I'm not sure I'll be able to catch everyone up. I can blog things as I remember them, and that's all I can promise :-).

We're still on the great search for a church and we're getting discouraged. We wish there was a church closer to us where we feel we belong, but there just isn't. Yesterday Jerry had me googlemap the distance between our house we lived in in Tennessee and our church there. I humored him, certain that it was a 30 minute drive. Maybe even less. Turns out, we lived 32 miles from our church there. Almost a 45 minute drive, because we didn't live close to the interstate. Only 2 or 3 miles shorter than the churches we're talking about here. You know, the drive we're dreading? The drive we did every Sunday and Wednesday in TN didn't seem that long.

Why is that? Perspective.

We lived closer to that church when we got connected and then we moved further away. We didn't mind it because we were already plugged in and had friends there, and my parents were there. This gives us new perspective on the churches here. We're not as discouraged as we were. More on our church hunt in another post.


In other news:

Our house is starting to feel like a home. I've cleaned, I've taught school, Jerry has had normal working days, I've had dinner cooking when gets home, the kids have had normal bedtimes...we have a sense of normalcy! I miss our lives in California, but it is so nice to feel settled again, to relax, to exhale.

The kids are adjusting well, except for Luke. He hasn't slept through the night since we left Cali. Some of it could be the lack of a crib (no we never found the hardware to put it together...more on that later), and some of it could be molars coming in, but I think most of it is the move. He has become so incredibly clingy and has separation anxiety more than any of other 3 did. Probably more than the other 3 combined. We can't put him down! Well, I guess technically we CAN put him down, but the poor baby just cries and cries and cries. He'll cling to my legs and I end up tripping on him, which you know only makes things worse. Things are starting to get easier, but you can tell he doesn't feel totally secure in his surroundings yet.

I joined a homeschool group, and signed the kids up for a Spelling Bee they're having in January. They're really excited about that, my weird kids :-). They invited me to the Christmas party, and I think we'll go.

Now that things have calmed down and life isn't as chaotic, I will keep in better touch with all of you!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Thanks for the blogpost!

We're praying for a great church for you, that you'll all get plugged in, and that Luke will start sleeping! :)